: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#WanderlustWednesday at Aviation Nation...

Wednesday, November 16, 2016


Do you know what I've found to be one of the weirdest things about living back in America? 

It's living a civilian lifestyle.  

While in Germany, SB and I lived off base, we both worked on base, so showing ID, going through guarded gates, and being surrounded by people in  uniform was totally normal.  Now that I'm back in America, don't live with SB (or see him in uniform on a daily basis), or work on a base, I kind of forget that I ever really had a lifestyle that had anything to do with the military, and so, for this week's #WanderlustWednesday post, I'm going back to my military roots! 

Last weekend, SB girlfriend-napped me and took me to the Aviation Nation air show at Nellis AFB.  It was my first time on an American base and it totally gave me flashbacks to my first trip to the base in Germany.  I was terrified to show an ID while driving through a gate that was guarded by tons of people un uniform, but going to Nellis felt a bit like a homecoming to me. 

Combine this "home" feeling with the adventure of taking in my first air show and I was totally good to go.  SB absolutely, totally, and completely nerded out over all of the different aircraft that were on display.  I was immensely impressed with his knowledge of all the different planes and, while I tried to soak up some of his knowledge, I walked away from this event simply with the ability to identify cargo planes (C) and fighter planes (F).  

No matter.  It was totally epic and often stressed me out to watch all of the planes, especially the Thunderbirds, flying in formations, narrowly flying past one another, and sneaking up on us while our attention was turned to other displays of airborne wonder.  All in all, this was a great (and free) way to reconnect with the military life I've come to miss while watching some total badass-ery (yes, that's a word now) in the sky! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 
: the top was thrifted
: the bag is fair trade and handmade
: the bracelet is handmade
: the band ring is fair trade and handmade
: the Buddha ring is handmade
... and SB's shirt was thrifted! 








1 comment on "#WanderlustWednesday at Aviation Nation... "
  1. Awesome photos. And I'm jealous that you have this gorgeous weather, it's fall for real here in Toronto where I live, and we actually have the first snow fall forecast next week. Today we had an unusually warm day, 18 degrees celcius, but that's about it, the last warm day for this year, and we should expect these warm temperatures again next year in spring. :)

    I also visited an air show this summer, at a military base not far away from Toronto, and I also wore a sustainable outfit to that air show -- a refashioned top and thrifted jeans and handbag.

    Have a great weekend!
    Xoxo, Victoria

    http://fashionstylebeautyandmore.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete