: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Out of my shell...

Monday, July 16, 2018


I'm going to have to go ahead and just proclaim this week "Sea Turtle Week" at : Green Chic Life :. 

I posted on Facebook last week that I went on a wee bit of a binge watch of both "Planet Earth 2" and "Blue Planet 2" all in one week.  At the end of the "Cities" episode of "Planet Earth 2" there is a scene where a bale of hawksbill sea turtles hatch on a beach in Barbados and many of them became confused and headed towards the lights of the city instead of following the moon and heading into the sea.  No joke: I was in tears.  A quick Google search put my fear to rest, though.  Spoiler alert: the film crew had a sea turtle rescue group on the scene and, defying the convention of leaving nature to do it's thing, they returned all of the turtles to the ocean.  Phew. 

I've been enchanted by sea turtles since I was in about third grade.  For whatever reason, they caught my attention, and I quickly devoured every library book I could find about them and since then, sea turtles have held a safe space in my heart.  I've never been lucky enough to see a hatching, but it's definitely on my bucket list.  

Until I can make it happen, I've found myself drawn to products that help to support the plight of the sea turtle.  This lovely sarong is one such item.  It was hand block printed by a team of artisans in Bagru, India and is sold by Beastly Threads with the mission to raise money to help save animals.  My eye was immediately drawn to the sea turtle for obvious reasons: proceeds of this scarf go straight to the Loggerhead Marinelife Center (coincidentally, as a child, the loggerhead was my favourite of 7 different species of sea turtles). The sarong is super fun, because it can be work a million different ways.  I spent about 30 minutes in the desert, trying to channel Daenerys Targaryen/Burning Man fangirls (because I don't know of many other people who wear bikini tops in the desert) and I really had a lot of fun coming up with new ways to style it.  I came up with several different versions of dress, a few different ways to wear it as a skirt, and you'd better believe that I'm already brainstorming ways to wrap it as a shirt that I can wear to work.  Of course, I also plan to wear it as a scarf once the school year begins and I'm back at work! 

Beastly Threads has a wonderful range of scarves, sarongs, and table runners that are all inspired by endangered animals.  The honeybee has also been calling my name for quite a while!  Hop over to their page and comment back here with your favourite design, your favourite endangered animals, or anything else you'd love to chat about! 


What's sustainable about this outfit?

: the swimsuit was made from ghost nets
: the sarong was hand block printed and generates donations towards environmental causes
: the earrings are handmade and fair trade
: the sandals are made of recyclable material







SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
Post Comment
Post a Comment