: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with My Wola...

Sunday, October 8, 2017


Let me tell you a little story about the colour pink. 

Back in high school, pink and I were pretty tight.  It was the era of "Mean Girls," after all, and some friends and I really did wear pink on Wednesdays.  I had a pink birthday cake.  I had a pink winter jacket.  I had a pink purse.  I had a pink cell phone.  

In college, I swung back to a love of blues and greens and that love is still very strong today.  

... and then I saw these earrings from My Wola.

They are pink and I love them.  

"Wola" means "heart" in the Mayan language and My Wola owners Jenny and her husband Maykol have a lot of heart for the people of Guatemala.  They have created their shop to share handmade Guatemalan goods with the people of the world, both to let the world see how beautiful their goods are, but also to help artisans rise above poverty and live better lives.  This year, 10% of proceeds will be used to cover the basic needs and schooling costs of Guatemalan children. 

These earrings were made by artist, Astrid Botto, who also has a lot of "wola," or heart, for creating accessories.  Her textiles are all woven by a co-op and then turned into wearable art.  They come in a number of different colours, but my eyes went straight to the pink ones.  They are actually really light and are definite statement pieces.  I had a great time wearing them and answering questions about how they were made and from where they came! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are handmade and fair trade
: the top was thrifted
: the rings were handmade






SaveSave
Post Comment
Post a Comment