: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Coco & Souls...

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Sooooo... I kind of feel like coconuts are all the rage right now.  Coconut water seems to be kind of a huge deal, though I've never tried it myself.  I've seen some coconut prints popping up in stores as I've been out with the hubby and the baby (practicing getting out of the house with a tiny human), but did you realize that coconut shells are also kind of awesome for jewelry? 

This week, I've teamed up with Ana who is the owner and crafter behind the etsy shop: Coco & Souls.  She's found her niche by hand-making a line of pretty fabulous earrings and home accessories from coconut shells picked up Salvadorean Pacific seashore.  She cuts and polishes each piece so the natural grains and colors of the coconut shells really shine through and then adds a bit more with fun tassels. 

I truly appreciate her aesthetic because her designs make a statement and I can only imagine that when my maternity leave ends and I'm back at work, my middle school students are going to want to know about these earrings.  I always love telling the kids about my slow fashion finds in the hopes that it will inspire them to think again when they are strolling through big box retailers, especially since at this age, they really are the consumers of tomorrow, and wearing pieces that spark conversation is a great way to help turn the tide from fast fashion to slow fashion. 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are handmade from eco-friendly materials
: the tee is thrifted
: the cami under the tee was a hand-me-down
: the scarf is fair trade and handmade
: the jeans were thrifted
: the boots are fair trade and handmade
: the bracelets are fair trade and handmade from recycled paper







Post Comment
Post a Comment