: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

March Mega Kind Madness and "The Kindness Diaries..."

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

If you're like me, you probably end up sort of, semi-accidentally on purpose having a bit of a Netflix binge once in a while.  When I find myself super fried after a day of trying to help my middle school students regulate their behavior, pumping, attending meetings, attempting to contact parents, complete special education paperwork, seeing Stellan at lunch, and remembering to feed myself, a good Netflix binge is just what I need.  Oh, and now that we are semi-stuck at home during this pandemic (whoa... that's a sentence I never thought I'd write...), a good binge-watch is definitely in order.

The catch?  I usually need to watch something that will teach me something.  My brain tends to still be firing at a zillion miles per minute and craves knowledge, human connection, and reminders that there is good in the world.

It was with this brain craving that I semi-accidentally stumbled across "The Kindness Diaries" back in the fall.  It is a reality show starring Leon Logothetis, a motivational speaker and wanderer who gave up his job as a broker in London to explore the world.  In each of the two seasons of "The Kindness Diaries," Leon makes a long road trip relying solely on the kindness of others.  He has no food, no money, and no shelter, but is able to make connections with the people he meets along the way, and in return for their kindness, he ends up helping them make many of their dreams come true.

He has helped people build schools and shelter animals.  Leon has been able to provide meals for people in need.  He has paid rent, sent children to school, and provided seed money for some of his new friends to start their own non-profit organizations.

SunStars and I have enjoyed following Leon's travels and have each shared them with our students.  I've been lucky to have exchanged a few messages with Leon via Instagram and wanted to help him help others as much as I can.  Since he designed a line of t-shirts and other goodies, I picked us up a few.  The proceeds from the sale of these goodies go right back to the projects Leon has helped to fund!








Post Comment
Post a Comment