: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Why I love California...

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

I have truly got to give California a shoutout.  Since "The OC" came out when I was finishing high school, and I got some insight into the flashier side of life in the Sunshine State, I've been hooked on the culture.  Since my dad has taken up residence there, I've been able to spend extended periods of time on the beach, chatting with hippies in coffee shops, playing with plants, and soaking up the vitamin D.  

I have come to realize a few things about California that I love and I just feel the need to list them here: 

1- People love to be outside.  Even when it's cloudy and chilly, I have a hard time driving off of the beach lanes because there are so many people walking their dogs, riding bikes, and skateboarding.  The beaches are busy even at 7 AM on weekdays.  

2- People actually care about conservation.  While not everyone picks up trash on the beach, I cannot tell you how many times I've been having a bit of a beach cleanup and I've seen plenty of others doing the same.  Many of the people that I've spoken to have expressed concerns over drought and have mentioned their efforts towards minimizing their water usage.  

3- At least where my dad lives, on the public streets, have solar powered recycling receptacles.  I don't think I need to say anything else about that.  It's just plain cool. 

4- There is a huge bubble of culture that is all about second-hand clothing and there is no stigma about it!  I've found that in other places that I've lived, people have turned up their noses when you tell them that your awesome sweater came from a  thrift shop!  

5- So many sustainable brands are based along the coast of California.  From big brands like Toms to smaller brands like Jack the Fifth, people in Cali seriously have their minds turned towards sustainable fashion. 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are fair trade and are sustainably made from gold-dipped, ethically-harvested quina leaves
: the scarf is handmade and fair trade
: the top is organic and fair trade
: the cuff bracelet is fair trade and handmade
: the sunglasses were sustainably made from wood







SaveSave
Post Comment
Post a Comment