: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

The icing was blue...

Wednesday, July 24, 2019


Never have I ever been nervous to bite into a cupcake, but yesterday, I had some serious cupcake anxiety!  

On the flip side, once I got past the first bite and saw what was inside, I don't think I've ever been so excited! 

While this pregnancy was quite the plot twist for SunStars and I (it happened by surprise about a year before we were really planning to try for it), things have been kind of a dream.  With the exception of a shortened timeline to prep and some family drama, it's been relatively easy.  

Once the initial shock wore off, I thought it would be super easy to wait to find out if we were having a boy or a girl.  I've been saying for months that I'd put a girl in just about anything I'd put a boy in and to be honest, the nursery is almost done already, but over the last month as I've started to feel little flutters and kicks, not knowing has driven me crazy.  Introspection has led me to believe that I may have some gender biases (I wouldn't put a boy in a tutu, but I have no issue putting a girl in a baseball uniform), but I also think that I just wanted to bond a bit more with this little being.  

Since announcing the pregnancy, we've had a lot of questions over whether or not we had any "feelings" about what Tater Tot was.  Truth be told, every time we saw an ultrasound, we thought girl for sure, but subsequent adventures into the world of old wives tales put boy at the forefront of our minds (an average of 17 out of 20 wives tales said boy).  We ended up in a place of truly wanting a healthy human, though we both admitted that we'd probably be more comfortable with a boy.  

Also, as I've written recently, achieving balance has become one of the main goals in my life and since I tend to spend a lot of time on social media, I've been caught up in a whirlwind of gender reveal parties.  It's easy to see how quickly these things turn into huge, out of control events, so SunStars and I opted to do a gender reveal for just us (and a friend who stepped in as our baker/photographer).  

After our ultrasound (everything is right on track, present, and accounted for), we delivered our friend a sealed envelope with the gender information.  She had already baked the cupcakes and just had to open the envelope and fill them.  She happens to live just around the corner from this gorgeous park, so we brought a cute tablecloth, fun plate (bio-degradable/made of leaves), and a tripod for a little picnic.  

It was the best idea we could have come up with.  We were both insanely nervous for that first bite.  SunStars managed to get about half of his cupcake in his bite, and I was trying to be dainty and still get to the middle to see the icing inside.  I was still able to get through and see just a tiny peak of bright blue frosting, but I tried to wait until he saw it to react.  It turns out, we had both totally been expecting pink.  We got blue.  We screamed.  It was kind of epic! 

... and now the name game begins... 





Post Comment
Post a Comment