: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Back to school... boho style...

Monday, August 19, 2019

Going back to school is no joke.  Like.  Whoa.  Oh, and I'm talking about going back to school as a teacher, not as a student.  The thought of trying to put jeans on after summer vacation is enough to make your head spin, but trying to come up with layers that look cohesive and also communicate your personality so that your students get a good sense of who you are can really make you crazy.  

... and then doing it while 6 months pregnant and trying not to draw too much attention to that fact, so you can focus on teaching the lessons you've just spent 12 hours planning adds another layer of complication. 

Luckily for me, I made friends with the people at Lotus and Luna and they totally helped me out with my "First Monday of the School Year" Look and they did it with fair trade/handmade pieces. 

Their Bondi Mandala kimono was perfect to layer over my thrifted tank.  It was able to hide my growing belly when I needed it to and was easy to slip out of during my plan period when I was too hot from teaching in a building with unreliable air conditioning. It was also able to show off my more boho style, which is surprisingly great when you're trying to teach a room full of middle school kids. 

Lotus and Luna was also kind enough to send me a variety of their healing bracelets and their Awareness + Peace stack was perfect for navigating a crazy Monday.  These bracelets are made of Howlite and Jasper, which help to activate the crown and root chakras.  They totally helped me to regulate myself and navigate several super fun typical beginning of the year hiccups.

I really appreciated getting the help from a versatile piece of clothing and some curative crystals, but what I love even more is that everything from their shop is made in a fair trade setting from locally sourced materials.  This means that the artisans who've created my new pieces come from a variety of backgrounds and ability levels, but are able to make things that cater to their interests and talents.  They are also paid fair wages, have vacation time and sick leave, and are able to work as often or as little as they like.  As always, knowing that what I'm wearing has afforded someone else peace of mind and a host of opportunities also helps me to feel good about doing what I'm doing! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the sunglasses are sustainable bamboo
: the earrings are fair trade and handmade from old bullet casings
: the necklace was handmade from an ethically-harvested deer antler
: the tank was thrifted
: the kimono is fair trade and handmade
: the bellbottoms are locally made from sustainable fabrics
: the boots were hand-me-downs







Post Comment
Post a Comment