: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with WorldFinds...

Sunday, November 17, 2019

It's no secret to those who know me that I'm a bit obsessed with tie dye, but when I find sustainable/handmade jewelry that perfectly compliments my tie dye, I'm not gonna lie... I'm kind of over the moon about it!  

This week, for #SustainableSunday, I've teamed up with a company that does just that! 

WorldFinds provides employment for over 700 women in India and Bali through the creation of jewelry that is largely made from recycled saris (you know... Kantha jewelry).  I've seen Kantha jewelry before and I've even owned a few pieces, but none of the Kantha pieces that have made their way into my wardrobe before even come close to the awesome designs of the pieces from WorldFinds! 

If you're not familiar, Kantha quilts are made of stacks of worn saris which are then embroidered and given new life!  Kantha jewelry is made from the leftover scraps.  Beaded jewelry is made by wrapping fabric over hand-made wooden beads.  Once a number of beads are prepped, they are strung together to create pieces like my new layered bracelet.  Other pieces in the collection, like the chandelier earrings in this outfit, are made by folding and wrapping more sari scraps.  

I love each of these pieces because they are totally unique.  Beyond that, this jewelry helps to empower women, send girls to school, and help to transform communities.  By giving women a safe place to work and a fair living wage, they're able to support themselves, their families, and invigorate their friends and neighbors. 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are fair trade and handmade
: the top is fair trade and handmade
: the jeans were thrifted
: the boots are fair trade and handmade
: the bracelet is fair trade and handmade
: the necklace is fair trade and handmade







Post Comment
Post a Comment