: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Ixil Collective...

Sunday, February 9, 2020

In the case that y'all haven't figured it out just yet, fair trade and sustainable fashion and lifestyle products are kind of my jam.  Since I've been home on maternity leave, I won't say that I've had a ton of time, but I've had a bit more time to spend discovering some pretty fabulous up and coming companies that have set out to make living more ethically and sustainably just a bit easier. 

This week, for #SustainableSunday, I am pleased to introduce you to Ixil Collective (pronounced: ee-sheel).  This fun new shop is based in the Maya Ixil region of Guatemala, specifically the towns of Chajul, Cotzal, and Nebaj, where traditional methods of weaving and crafting are still being used.  They have created a line of designs that are all based on traditional Mayan dress and motifs with the mission of connecting these ancient handicrafts with the international market. 

In addition to making the international market more aware of these traditional products, Ixil Collective is doing it in a way that fairly compensates artisans and is friendly to the environment.  They use only natural and upcycled fibers in their products, like organic cotton and recycled denim, and they strive to make everything as biodegradable as possible.  They also use absolutely no plastic in their packaging and they are working to offset carbon emissions from everything as it is shipped around the world from Guatemala. 

I was gifted with a pair of their Cinta earrings, which were a total breath of fresh air.  They are based on the traditional head-dress worn by women in the town of Chajul on a daily basis. The type of pom pom featured on these earrings are considered to be iconically Ixil.  These earrings are all hand-crafted by a woman named Delfina, and they come in 4 different color-ways.   I chose the mélon option, since I think they will be awesome in all 4 seasons, but I tell ya, it was quite difficult to pick the pair that I liked the best.  I may need to add at least one more pair to my wardrobe since they are so lightweight, fun, and will definitely be a great conversation piece when I go back to work! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the headband came as a wrapper on a blanket my mum received as a gift about 15 years ago
: the earrings are fair trade and handmade
: the cocoon sweater was thrifted
: the tee is made of organic cotton
: the necklace is handmade
: the bracelets are handmade
: the boots are fair trade and handmade







Post Comment
Post a Comment