: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday in our sustainable nursery... with Bit of Meraki...

Sunday, September 22, 2019

I've written a few times before about how terrified I was when I found out that I was pregnant.  Honestly, the first thing that got me calmed down about it was the idea of creating a new space for our new little human.  As I mentally prepared this space, my first step was to re-use as much of what I had as possible.  Because SunStars and I live in a 2-bedroom condo and when I moved in, the second room was going to be a guest room... and subsequently became the nursery, I knew that I wanted to create our new room using as much of what I already had as possible.  

Over the summer, I collected things, I made things, SunStars made things, and while we are only in week 28, our rainforest/ocean/nature nursery has nearly come together.  I'll leave captions under the photos to tell y'all a bit more about how we created, re-used, and up-cycled things, but for now, I want to focus your attention to this sweet little cloth basket. 

I knew that I wanted to add more textiles to this space because there are a lot of wooden surfaces,  most of which are different colors.  I also knew that I wanted the last few textiles to be as neutral as possible to tone down some of the brighter colors in the room and to balance out all of the different wood colors, so when Bit of Meraki sent me an email and asked me if I'd like to try out one of their handmade, fair trade products, I was sold! 

I scrolled through several pages of their gorgeous home goods and fell in love as soon as my eyes settled upon their Willow Basket.  I had registered for something similar to use as a hamper, but it wasn't handmade OR fair trade AND it didn't have the fun pom pom details, so I was all set.  

Since it has arrived, I've moved it to several places around the nursery and love it equally in all of them.  It's such a gorgeous piece, but it can easily be a focal point or a bit of an understated piece, which really helps to balance out the room.  As I've said, my initial intent is to use it as a hamper for baby clothes, but I can easily picture myself filling it with toys or books while Tater Tot is tiny, and then maybe planting something in it once he is older.  It is an incredibly versatile piece and I love that it is handmade and fair trade.  It's something that I can feel good about having in my home!  If you'd like to check out all of the beautiful pieces in their shop and treat yourself to one (or two), feel free to use code: 20OFF to save 20%! 


^ Those onesies came from a thrift store!  I made this rug from about 100 t-shirts that friends and neighbors were going to toss out (it took ALL summer)! 


^ The leaves are actually placemats that we snagged after a party at a friend's apartment complex.  The crib and mattress are second-hand.  The crib sheet is made of organic cotton.  The pillows were on my bed in my apartment when I lived alone.  I knitted the blanket out of yarn that would have been thrown away. 



^ This dresser (and now changing table) was my dresser in my apartment when I lived alone.  The mirror was a Christmas gift I received in college.  It is made from recycled magazines.  The baskets that are currently holding diapers are also made of recycled newspapers and I bought them to hold DVDs when I was in college.  The books on the dresser were hand-me-downs from a friend, and the globe used to live at my dad's house. 


^ SunStars made these bookshelves from a pallet.  The majority of the books in the shelves were mine when I was little.  These baskets were handmade and held my linens in a previous apartment.  They are currently full of my old baby toys.  The stuffed animals came from donating to World Wildlife Fund.  The Christmas cactus was a hand-me-down from a friend who wanted to get rid of it. The fig tree was free with a purchase we made for a school project.  It is planted in a bait bucket we found in an antique shop. 



Post Comment
Post a Comment