: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Urban...err... desert exploring...

Monday, March 26, 2018

Confession 1: I absolutely love exploring abandoned buildings.  

Confession 2: Exploring abandoned buildings alone can be unsafe and a bit scary.  

Let me set the scene: I've made the trip from Vegas to LA about 15 times in the last year and a half.  I don't always take the exact same route, but the first half of the trip is just about always the same.  The highway winds through the desert and past a number of tiny little desert towns.  When I made this trip with Soldier Boy, he often wanted to stop as little as possible, but when I make the journey alone, I have free reign of the decision making.  Because I often end up packing up right after work and hitting the road, about 95% of these trips take place in the dark, so I can't always see what has actually sprung up around me. 

On this particular trip, I decided to leave in the  morning simply so that I could scout out some fun locations and to a bit of urban... err... desert exploring.  Those who have made this trip are probably familiar with Baker, California.  It's just a little ways over the Nevada border and is basically just a main street filled with gas stations, fast food restaurants, auto repair shops, and the famous Alien Jerky shop.  One spot that's piqued my interest on numerous pit stops in town is Arne's Royal Hawaiian Motel.  

I suppose that Bates Motel comes to mind when looking at this place, but really, I'm just someone who has always been drawn to creepy, crumbly places.  I like to imagine what it was like to visit places like this when they were fresh and new.  I also really love to look at the graffiti that invariably springs up around these places.  I like to read the names and feel connected to the other people, though strangers, who have also been drawn to these places.  

On the flip side, the environmentalist in me wanted to pick up all of the trash that was blowing around the property, explore inside to see if I could find anything useful, and develop a full-blown business plan to convert the abandoned buildings into something new.  However, since I was alone, I just had a quick wander around the outside of the buildings.  I paid attention to the "No Trespassing" signs whenever I saw them, and took advantage of the fun backdrop for this hippie-inspired ensemble! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are handmade
: the necklace is handmade and fair trade
: the bracelet is handmade and fair trade
: the tank is eco-friendly and benefits global education initiatives
: the bellbottoms are thrifted
: the sandals are made of recycled yoga mats








Post Comment
Post a Comment