: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Ellery: curating and giving back...

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Ok, y'all... this year I was SO good!  Since I knew that I was preggo last spring, I spent my summer searching for the best sustainable and/or ethical holiday gifts so I'd be all set before Tater Tot arrives. I've already showed off a few of these things (see this week's #SustainableSunday post for the Full Circle Living Zero Waste Kit), but I've got more up my sleeve!  

Today, I have to gush a bit about Ellery, a shop that was inspired by a grandmother who loved to save and reuse everything possible.  Shop owner, Emily, learned a bit more about the way the world of fashion works while in college and set out to curate a shop that is filled with gorgeous fair trade pieces that are all handmade by women in fair trade settings. 

Green Bees, this is totally a store that operates on ideals that I can get behind, so I totally jumped at the opportunity to share it with you!  Emily sent me their Kavya clutch, which HELLO... is absolutely adorable!  At first glance, it looks like a super summery piece because it's exterior was hand loomed and is white, but upon closer inspection, the glittery gold that has been worked into the white Jacquard starts to pop.  Friends, this clutch is ideal for the holidays!  While I won't be out partying this holiday season, I did give it a test drive and can tell you that it's the perfect fit for a wallet, a giant iPhone, and the makeup you'd want for touchups on nights out!  The leather tassel gives it the perfect finishing touch.  I'm seriously looking forward to the days when I can show it off! 

Emily also shared a pair of her Grenada earrings with me.  These gems have a boho design that has been hammered onto brass.  They are lightweight and add a fun little pop to the average outfit.  I loved how they matched with the Kavya clutch (hello, gift set anyone?) and helped bring a bit of shine to my outfit!  

While the folks at Ellery work hard at creating beautiful pieces, they've also dedicated themselves to helping the world.  Everything they sell has been curated from shops that give back to the world, like the Kavya clutch by Bloom and Give.  This company provides safe working conditions for their female artisans and they donate 10% of sales (which equates to about half of their profits) to programs that send girls to school in India.  As you may know, many girls in India are unable to attend school, but research has shown that when a girl in India attends school, she earns more, has healthier children, and reinvests more in her family.  As a full-time teacher by day myself, this mission is near and dear to my heart! 

That being said, as you're crossing gifts off of your list, I'd love it if you would consider shopping with Ellery!  If you must purchase new goodies, purchase goodies that come from a good place and give back! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are fair trade and handmade
: the necklace is fair trade and handmade
: the cuff is fair trade and handmade
: the tee is made from reclaimed fabrics
: the dress is made from reclaimed fabrics
: the boots are fair trade and handmade
: the clutch is fair trade and handmade







Post Comment
Post a Comment