: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Mayamam Weavers...

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Is anyone else out there trying to live more minimally?  I find that I am constantly trying to evaluate and re-evaluate the physical goods that I welcome into my life because decreasing my footprint has become a central goal in my life, especially now that we've got a baby (and all of the "stuff" that comes with him).  

When I decide to add a physical, non-consumable product to my life, it has to be a few things: 

1) Fair trade- so that I can have confidence in knowing that it came from a safe place where people's skills are truly valued and are well compensated. 
2) Eco-friendly- with raw materials that are fast growing, grown without pesticides, use less water, etc. so I'll feel good about knowing that the carbon footprint of what I have is smaller than that of products found at lots of big retailers. 
3) Handmade- because as an etsy shop-owner myself, I know that creators do a happy dance when something they've made has sold (and that sale likely means that they can send their kid to dance lessons or they can actually buy all of the groceries that they need). 

It was with these credentials in mind, that I've teamed up with Mayamam Weavers for this week's #SustainableSunday post.  These weavers are based in the western highlands of Guatemala where a team of women have come together to use traditional Mayan weaving techniques to overcome poverty.  There are about 20 women who are creators for Mayamam Weavers who do beautiful work, have learned how to run a business, and earn a fair wage.  Because their collective has been so successful, they even have on-site childcare and adult literacy classes that reach into the community. 

They were kind enough to send me a set of these beautiful colored striped placemats and matching napkins, and I have to say that the crafts-woman-ship is amazing!  The more I look at them, the more in awe I am of the way all of these colors are woven together to create a cohesive fabric.  SunStars and I think that this set looks especially good with our new dishes and antique diner table, but I'm also picturing us using them for summer dinner parties outside! 

Mayamam Weavers also makes aprons, table runners, neck ties, scarves, pot holders, dish towels, coasters, and more!  If you are looking for an ethical way to update or replace items in your home, or if you need a fun gift for someone (hint, hint, Father's Day will be here before you know it and their neck ties and aprons would be awesome gifts), I highly recommend that you take a look at weavers' range! 







Post Comment
Post a Comment