: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Light Shine Candles...

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Since the quarantine began, I've found myself learning a lot about the Danish concept of "hygge" (pronounced "hoo-ga").  There isn't really an English word to which it easily translates, but the books and websites I've been reading have referred to hygge as a feeling of coziness, a bit of indulgence, and/or a sense of comfort.  

One of the most important components of hygge, according to the Danes, is candles.  Candles create a warm glow, add a bit of scent to the environment, and have a connection with celebration that makes hygge even more hyggeligt.  I definitely agree. And because I've committed myself to living minimally and sustainably, when I want to include candles in my life, they have to be good for the world in some way.  

Enter: Light Shine Candles, a company owned and operated by Anna Reyes and her family, based in Nashville, TN and in El Salvador.  "Kay Kay" candles, made by Anna's grandmother are famous in her family and when she offered to teach Anna the art of candle making with her very own recipe, Light Shine Candles was born.  Since the first candle poured in 2014, thousands of candles have been poured in small batches using non-GMO soy, no phthalates, and no dyes. 

I was lucky enough to receive their April subscription box of candles to try out and let me tell you, the hygge is real with these!  The subscription includes 1 or 2 curated seasonal candles, and for the month of April, their top two best-selling candles have been paired: salted grapefruit and tobacco.  I'm on a bit of a grapefruit kick at the moment, so this candle was absolutely perfect for me and the tobacco scent is surprisingly sweet.  I had them both lit on either end of our condo the other day and they blended beautifully together and made our home smell wonderful and feel extra cozy.  I also totally dig that they come in glass jars with screw top lids.  They will be easy to up-cycle or reuse once the 40+ hours of burn time is complete. 

One more reason that I've truly enjoyed incorporating Light Shine Candles into my hygge-quarantine-routine is that they believe in service to others.  They have been partnering with Global Outreach Development International since 2006 to help bring education and empowerment to people in El Salvador.  They donate a portion of proceeds from all candle sales right back to GOD Int'l to continue their work in El Salvador.  This work has continued, even though the outbreak of COVID has impacted the team there, as well.  Thankfully, years of previous donations have helped to develop a garden that is currently supplying the community with organic foods without needing to leave home. 

If you'd like to hygge up your quarantine, take a look at Light Shine Candles, and do it while helping a family-owned business and in a way that helps others!  You can get $5 off of your first subscription box with code: GREENCHIC5 through 18-April-20!








Post Comment
Post a Comment