: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

What's in my sustainable hospital bag...

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Hokay, so... today as I write this, I am officially 35 weeks pregnant!  I know!  Where did the time go?  I tried super hard to have the nursery put together over the summer since we were making so much of what went into it AND flipping the house and it's really hard to do those things while actively teaching.  One of the things that I think I'm still probably a bit ahead on, but feel like I'm way behind in doing is packing my hospital bag.  

I've had a suitcase laying open in the nursery for about 6 weeks now and, because I've never done this before, I've relied heavily on hospital bag checklists found on Pinterest and on input from friends.  The thing is that I've been trying to keep things as sustainable as possible, which requires a bit of extra care and research.  Luckily, I've been building a sustainable wardrobe for a few years now and have tried to set that precedent where baby-related things are concerned, so I've already managed to gather a number of groovy eco-friendly and fair trade goodies to pack for this adventure.  

Some of those pieces are: 

: my Technicolor Dreamcoat from Jessica Redditt Designs- This handmade piece was plant dyed and because it is super soft and opens at the front, I thought it would be kind of adorable to wear in the hospital. 

: a Boody seamless bamboo bra- This one is padded, which should come in handy and because it is seamless, it should be extra comfy. 

: a pair of cotton postpartum underwear from Dashlin.  These were designed from stretchy soft cotton by a husband and wife team after a difficult birth experience to make the recovery process a bit more comfortable. 

: a pair of crops from Tillage Clothing Company- I've read that I'll only want to wear things that are dark in color after giving birth (duh), so it seemed only natural to grab these crops.  They are stretchy, loose, breezy, and were made using high quality fabrics in a small factory in Southern California. 

: plastic free and natural toiletries from Living Full Circle, Tap Tap Organics, and Black Mountain Beauty- Just because we'll be staying in the hospital for a few days is no reason to cover myself with chemicals and create a ton of extra waste. 

: my recycle print duffle bag from Parkland Mfg.- since I've been told to stock up on diapers and those super fun mesh panties at the hospital and will need a way to get them home, I figured I'd do it in a bag that was created with recycled plastic bottles! 

: handmade, organic, and thrifted baby clothes- because, duh... photoshoots of our sweet, tiny, new human... 

: organic swaddles- Breathable, adorable, more sustainable! 

Of course, I'm still working on finding some really good reusable postpartum, ummmm... absorbent items, if you know what I mean... basically... I'm still on the hunt for pads and breast pads.  While I have been given some disposable products to try out, the thought of continually using this sort of things just once and then tossing it kind of upsets me.  If anyone reading this has any great suggestions for products that they've used, I'd love to hear about them!  Please drop that info in the comments or shoot me a message on Instagram or Facebook! 








Post Comment
Post a Comment