: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Do Good Shop...

Sunday, September 24, 2017

One of the coolest things about sustainable lifestyle blogging is that it connects me to lots of super awesome people who share similar world views.  Well, friends, I have found a kindred spirit in Jenni, the greater of Do Good Shop

Jenni has curated an online shop that is full of amazing products that give back to the people who created them.  She carries brands like Sudara, Elegantees, Sari Bari, Mission Lazarus, and Global Mamas, to name a few.  All of these companies train (mostly) women in need of income and help them rise above poverty.  Something extra notable about Do Good Shop, though, is that it is a .org website.  That means that even though it functions like a shop, it's actually a non-profit organization, so when you buy that awesome fringe purse, or those super comfy PJ pants, or the tee I'm wearing here, the proceeds go directly to the causes that are near and dear to Jenni (and her team's) heart: economic development, support for artisans, and helping to slow the pace of the fast-fashion industry. 

This will be the first of, I'm sure, many collaborations with Do Good Shop and for that, I'm absolutely thrilled.  I had a few minutes before work to snap these photos in my new favourite tee.  It's a product from Sudara that says "THIS SHIRT DOES GOOD."   This tee is a serious conversation piece.  I cannot tell you how many people stopped me throughout the work day to read my shirt or ask me what it says and then actually took the time to stop and discuss it a bit further.  

This, my friends, is what Do Good Shop is all about: affecting change.  

Just by wearing this tee to work once, I had countless conversations about fair trade fashion, helping people that need it, and where to go to get more information.  It isn't every day that getting dressed makes me feel like I'm causing a ripple in the world, but today was one of those days.  I'm already planning new ways to re-style this tee a bit more formally so I can "do good" with my clothing again soon. 

I also want to take a moment to tell you more about the leather cuff I matched to this casual outfit.  While I'm only about 90% vegetarian, I still try to stay away from leather.  However, this wrap by Matr Boomie caught my eye and I was really interested to learn more about the way it was made.  It was crafted in India in a region where cows are considered sacred.  The cows are revered for their milk, their labor, and their spirits.  They live well and usually simply die of old age.  It is at this point that their hides are treated using vegetable tanning and turned into leather products.  There is something about this process that lends a bit of magic to the wrap.  It's like the revered spirit of the cow has been embedded into the leather and if there's anything the world needs right now, it's a bit of magic! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the tee is fair trade
: the bracelet is sustainably made and fair trade
: the rings are handmade
: the earrings are handmade





Post Comment
Post a Comment