: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Taking a dive right into a tide (pool)...

Wednesday, April 4, 2018


When I finished high school and began college, my dad was living in beautiful La Jolla, California.  I only ended up making two quick trips out to visit him, so I was able to get a very general idea of the cool things that this city has to offer, but I never really go to fully partake in them.  It's been 11 years since my last adventure to this corner of the year and this time, I had a serious agenda.  

At the very top of my list was a trip to Children's Pool to walk out on the breakwater and see the seals and to take a look at the tide pools.  

Since this adventure started in LA on a Friday before a holiday weekend, our quick day trip down to San Diego ended up turning into a 7-hour drive, room service dinner and then our adventure officially began on the following day and we nearly didn't even make it here!  I persisted and can now successfully cross Children's Pool and the tide pools off of my list!  The tide was low so we were able to venture out onto the breakwater without the fear of becoming completely drenched and we spent some time getting caught up in seal-related drama (i.e. a pup was trying to get up onto the rocks, but the big grandpa seals wouldn't let it... don't worry... it took a while, but seal baby finally found a safe place to rest).  This was quickly followed by a quick wander around the tide pools where I amused everyone by slipping on algae and totally wiping out.  Luckily, my dad was able to snap some outfit photos of my beautiful handmade huipil, quina leaf earrings, and go-to cuff before I went down!  Also, I'm happy that there were no sea urchins living in the tide pool into which I slipped!  

Oops! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are fair trade and handmade from sustainably sourced materials
: the huipil is fair trade and handmade
: the cuff is fair trade and handmade








Post Comment
Post a Comment