: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

You can take the girl out of the desert...

Monday, February 11, 2019

... but, apparently, you can't take the desert out of the girl. 

Yes, Green Bees, while I had never planned in a million years to live in the Mojave Desert, I ended up there for two years.  While they were some of the most difficult years of my life and I truly couldn't wait to get out of said desert at the earliest chance, now that I've been in the mountains for 6 months, I find myself constantly thinking about sand, cool rocks, and cacti blooming in the spring time. 

Yes, I carted about 25 cacti of my own to Colorado with me, but that doesn't mean that I don't miss the still of the desert air and, yes, even colliding with prickly plants while photoshooting out in the middle of nowhere.  I'm quite happy to have little reminders all around me. 

That is why I was absolutely stoked when my Instagram pal, Tanisha, posted her brand new turquoise saguaro cactus earrings.  She makes THE most amazing beaded earrings and I've been following her shop, Darling Beadworks, for years (she's also won one of my giveaways), and I love all of her work. But literally, when I saw these cactus earrings, my jaw dropped, my entire soul smiled, and I knew that these handmade wonders needed to make their way into my wardrobe. 

They were super groovy for a quick stop to the nursery on a chilly winter day, but I have several more plans in the works for them.  They are going to transition beautifully into the spring and summer and will continue to spark joy in my life for years to come! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are handmade
: the top was thrifted
: the bracelet is fair trade and handmade
: the boots are fair trade and handmade
: the purse is fair trade and handmade



 




Post Comment
Post a Comment