: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Freedom Array...

Sunday, November 5, 2017


Happy #SustainableSunday, tout le monde!  I hope that your weekend was just as amazing as mine.  A friend from home flew to me in Vegas, we road-tripped to California for a mutual friend's wedding, and it was awesome!   I finally got to stop at all the touristy places and sites that I always say I'll visit when I'm headed west, but never do!  

Our first stop was at Seven Magic Mountains, which, if you'll remember from my travel post, is an art installation of seven towers of neon boulders in the desert.  I think that it is a really cool idea and since I've been told that the installation will be taken down this spring, I figured that another visit wouldn't be a bad thing.  

It was also the perfect place to show off my new Midnight Ruby scarf!  This scarf was made by a former partner, Heshima Kenya, but I acquired it through a shop that I recently discovered on Instagram called Freedom Array.  As you may have guessed from the name, it is a shop with a wide array of fair trade and ethical products that help the makers gain a sense of freedom from would otherwise be a life of poverty. 

In addition to Heshima Kenya, they carry pieces from brands like: Gaia, Ketzali, Mercado Global, and Soko.  These are all companies that produce jewelry and accessories in developing countries, but under fair trade conditions.  The artisans who create their products are paid a fair living wage and are often provided access to things like health care and education, to which they may never otherwise gain access. 

I always feel very proud to stock my wardrobe with pieces that are not only versatile, but that are ethical and sustainable.  This particular scarf was handmade by a woman named Mugeni in the Congo.  This information was hand-written on the tag and I love that it connects me to a woman on the other side of the globe, whom I've never met, but whom I can wonder about each time I wear this beautiful scarf! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the scarf is fair trade and handmade
: the bracelet stack is made from up-cycled items
: the earrings are handmade from ethically-harvested butterfly wings
: the ring is handmade
: the boots are sustainably made






1 comment on "#SustainableSunday with Freedom Array... "