: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Cleaning up the desert with 1 Piece Each...

Monday, April 16, 2018

While I truly believe that wearing sustainable clothing is a great thing and is a wonderful springboard for anyone who is looking to start living a more eco-friendly lifestyle, I have arrived at a point in my life where I just need to do more.  Let's face it, the world is a scary place and it needs help and even though I'm just one person, I can do my part to create ripples that may eventually turn into waves!  

If we've been Instagram pals for the last year or so (are we pals?  Drop me your handle in the comments and I'll follow 'ya back!), you know that I find Vegas to be totally gross.  I often pick up a shopping bag full of trash on my walk to work (which is basically across the street from where I live... gross!).  I teamed up with 1 Piece Each on Instagram a few months back and I'm so glad that we connected!  They are a Florida-based non-profit that sponsors beach cleanups.  Joseph, the founder, reached out to me, sent me one of these awesome whale tees (whales + green= my happy heart), and encouraged me to get a group together to do a cleanup of my own, even though I'm nowhere near the beach.  

Not far from where I live is a huge archeological site, part of which is open to the public.  I take a lot of outfit photos here throughout the week, and I am often shocked to see that while many people use this spot for hiking and walking their dogs, many other people use it as a place to drink/toss beer bottles, gorge on fast food and leave their trash behind, smoke countless cigarettes, and set off fireworks.  Also, the crazy wind in this area certainly doesn't help.  Anyway, Joseph got me set up with some buckets and gloves from Home Depot, and I got some people together and we went out to pick up as much as we could!  Unfortunately, the weather was a bit wonky and quite a few people weren't able to make it, but the three of us who did show up picked up 3 buckets and 5 bags of trash, along with a stack of cardboard in just an hour and a half!   Can you even begin to wrap your head around how much cleaner the planet would be if each person picked up just 1 piece of trash even just once a week? 

Suffice it to say that I'll be planning another cleanup in the near future!  If, like me, you want to start making waves, please consider reaching out to 1 Piece Each to set up a cleanup of your own!  They have some pretty awesome march, also!  You can see all of their super fun tees and tanks on their Instagram page!

Have you ever participated in a local cleanup?  What was the most surprising thing you found?  I found two lucky pennies!    









Post Comment
Post a Comment