: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Now, on to the bars...

Monday, March 2, 2020

Plastic is something of a pandemic.  The palm oil industry is killing something like 100 orangutans a day.  The average American woman encounters just under 170 different chemicals in her daily beauty routine, and many of them are known to cause all sorts of health issues.  It is definitely time for a change of pace to improve the health of the planet and to improve our own health.  

I'm so glad that so many other people in the world agree, because they have made it possible for small and handmade shops like Parrotfish to exist.  Parrotfish is the brainchild of Katie Pearson who, like me, was overwhelmed at the thought of the number of plastic bottles produced in our country just from shampoo every year (upwards of 550 million!!!) and decided that it was time for a change.  She teamed up with her sister-in-law, Brittany Gandy, and learned to make and market a line of plastic-free shampoo, conditioner, body, and face bars.  If you were wondering, the name "Parrotfish" comes from the tropical fish by the same name that cleans the ocean by eating algae and dead corals. 

They were kind enough to send me two of their face bars and I am IN LOVE!  First of all, they smell amazing, so now my mailbox smells absolutely stellar.  They also arrived in a bio-degradable mailer, which I love and appreciate to the moon and back.  Seriously, how often have y'all ordered something eco-friendly, only to have it arrive wrapped in plastic, surrounded by styrofoam packing peanuts, and in a huge, gnarly box? 

I digress... just know that they are truly thinking about making every step of their process as environmentally friendly as possible.  Now, on to the bars! 

I've already said that my mailbox smells amazing because of them, but seriously, now that I've tried them out and have been using them, my bathroom smells amazing, too! 

I first tried the tea tree and charcoal bar.  It is absolutely gorgeous.  I love the stripe down the middle that shows where the charcoal ends and where the tea tree begins.  This bar is most beneficial for use on oily skin.  The tea tree oil side contains natural exfoliants in the form of calendula and the charcoal side does what charcoal does so well: draws out impurities.  The only other ingredients in this bar are coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, water, and a bit of lye! 

The circular rose and coconut face bar is more of a moisturizing bar.  It is made of simple ingredients like: olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, rose clay, shea butter, and coconut milk.  The different oils in this bar pack a ton of moisture in for your skin, and I'll be honest... it smells so fresh and clean that I have been using it to shampoo my hair and it's done a wonderful job of hydrating my scalp without making my hair greasy... oh, and my hair smells amazing after use! 

These 4 oz. bars are pretty wonderful.  I love the time and care that has gone into crafting formulas that work, but that are quite natural and very simple.  The clean, plastic-free packaging is just an added bonus!  

Be sure to pop over to the Parrotfish website to check out their whole line!  Comment back here with your favorite products or the things that you'd most like to try for yourself! 








Post Comment
Post a Comment