: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday... re-purposing with Mata Traders

Sunday, June 12, 2016


This week, for #SusatinableSunday, I want to chat about re-purposing.  Now, usually when one hears the word "re-purpose" it is in regards to finding something new to do with something old  i.e. cut up your old t-shirts and turn them into a quilt, convert old pasta sauce jars to drinking jars, unravel a sweater and knit it into something new.  However; I have to tell y'all something...

You can re-purpose stuff that isn't old.  

Case and point: my rad infinity scarf.  Isn't it awesome?  I just love the hand block-printed design and I love that it's fair trade.  But guess what... It's actually a skirt (see how I styled it HERE).  Two points pour moi for wardrobe inventiveness!  

You may be asking yourself, "Who cares about re-purposing?  Why does it matter and why should I care?"

If  you should happen to be asking yourself any of the aforementioned questions, let me tell you!  Re-purposing is, quite literally, what it says: finding a new purpose for something (see my examples above).  It matters because these days, we consume WAY too much stuff.  I'm speaking more from an American standpoint here, but our homes are literally bursting at the seams.  We have basements, garages, and closets that are totally stuffed.  So stuffed, that many of us also need to rent storage lockers to hold all of our belongings.  

Why do we need all this stuff?  Well, our consumerist society says so.  But really... we don't need all the stuff.  I pride myself on having only what I need (it drives me nuts when I go into houses and they have 6 open bottles of shampoo... one will do just fine!), but even I have too much stuff!  We, as people, are consuming to much too fast.  Our demand for "things" is insane and the "things" we are demanding are often unethically and unsafely produced.  

So what I'm really trying to say is that re-purposing is awesome.  It gives multiple functions to the things we already have so we don't need to consume more... and I think I'm really onto something here with my skirt/scarf deal.  Come to think of it, I have an few scarves that might also make for some awesome skirts.  


What's sustainable about this look? 

: the scarf is a re-purposed fair trade skirt
: the bracelets are fair trade and ethically made from horn
: the earrings are hand made
: the shirt was a hand-me-down from my mum







3 comments on "#SustainableSunday... re-purposing with Mata Traders"
  1. I love this outfit! The colours work so well together. Excellent re-purpose. xxx
    www.justemma.co.uk - natural beauty, affordable fashion, everyday life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your style. Yellow looks amazing on you.


    xx Jessy Kleidermaedchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent re-purpose. I love re-puprosing, and I do the same, every time I get the chance.
    I have worn skirts as strapless tops.
    I have worn dresses as skirts, by accessorizing them with a sweater or with a shirt and skinny belt, and the dress under the sweater or the shirt doesn't look like a dress anymore, but like a skirt.
    I have worn my husband's shirts and T-shirts to create the Boyfriend Shirt Look or the Boyfriend T-Shirt Look. I have also worn his shorts like my own (they look unisex enough) and I accessorized them with feminine elements for a balanced outfit and to avoid a too androgynous look.
    So yes, re-purposing can be done in so many ways, all you need is some creativity and imagination, and see the dress in the fabric.
    Have a great weekend my dear!
    I love your sustainable stories, and I come back here precisely for these.
    Xoxo, Victoria

    http://fashionstylebeautyandmore.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete