: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Just a wanderer...

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

In the famous words of The Beatles..."They say it's your birthday... we're gonna have a good time..."  

... and as it so happens, today is my birthday!  I'm officially old.  Like multiple decades old.  I don't really know how I feel about it.  

I know my focus here lately has been on sustainability (and this outfit does have several sustainable components), but I've got to reflect a bit.  Leading up to this year, my life goal has been to find a job with a salary that would put me on a career path and let me use my grad school degree and to live on my own (i.e. pay all of my own bills, etc.).  Now that I'm doing just those very things (and not really enjoying them), I find that I'm on the fence.  My previous life style, working multiple jobs, but having free time to work on my etsy shop, blog, work on manuscripts, and travel, while not feeling very adult, made me rather happy.  I had to scrape an income together, but I could leave work at work whenever I wanted to. 

Now that I am teaching, about 85% of my life is all about work.  The other 15% is used for sleeping, running errands, and housekeeping.  It has been difficult to carve out the time to get the fun stuff in.  When I talk to other people about life, I largely hear "Yep, welcome to adulthood." but I question it.  Why does "adulthood" have to consist of slogging through each day, doing things one doesn't like simply to pay bills?  I question this often, but today, it's the prime thought on my mind. 

While I've done a lot in 3 decades, I still haven't found that one thing that I want to do for the rest of my life... and I'm trying to decide if I'm ok with it or not... perhaps, I'm just a wanderer and my sole purpose in this lifetime is to wander... 

What's sustainable about this outfit? 
: the jeans are second-hand
: the necklaces and bracelet are handmade and fair trade
: the rings are handmade

5 comments on "Just a wanderer... "
  1. Such a cute look! I know what you mean about adulthood, I'm only 18 (so I guess adulthood isn't really the right word for me to use yet) but I already feel like I'm going through each day just doing what I have to do to get by and pay rent. It's a vicious cycle, but I guess we can just remain optimistic that things will work out in our favour in the end!

    |Georgia Megan|

  2. Your look is super pretty! Have a great day!
    Love Emina

    Instagram: http://instagram.com/eminamasovic

  3. Oh, I understand you more than you can imagine!:D
    And btw I love that you are interested in sustainability lately. Me and Pearl are too and it is great to have another blogger friend who is as well.
    Anyway I hope you have enjoeyd your birthday!


    FB: https://www.facebook.com/Audrey-and-Pearl-396910423691546/

  4. Cute look. :)
    I hope you had a great birthday!
    Xoxo, Victoria