: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Pela Case and #zerowaste...

Wednesday, September 27, 2017


Just before our random trip to the supposed festive fall forests of southern Utah, I received a super fun little package in the mail!  It was a new phone case, and if you're anything like me, you'll agree that getting a new phone case kind of feels like getting a new phone.  While that feeling, in itself, is oodles of awesome, I am actually incredibly proud to show off with this phone case. 

"Why?" you ask. 

Because it's bio-degradable!  

How cool is that? 

All of the phone cases from Pela Case are made of a fancy material called flax shiv.  This is a renewable agricultural by-product that not only gives the cases a fun texture (and makes every case totally unique), it also works as a shock absorber for those times when you might be trail running and your phone slips out of your pocket or are mountain biking and happen to take a spill.  One of the coolest things about this case is that it will naturally break itself down under compostable conditions, so in the end, it's zero waste!  Note: It isn't going to disintegrate during your daily life (unless you actually are trail running in the woods, drop your phone, and never manage to find it). 

My old phone case was made of cheap plastic, and while I liked the design and the price was right, it wasn't easy to grip and the few times when I did drop my phone, I immediately slipped into panic mode, thinking that I had almost definitely shattered my phone.  I don't have that feeling at all with my Pela Case.  It wraps nicely around my phone and fits nicely into my hands.  Also, I have to give props to Pela Case for still making cases for the iPhone 5 family!  I'm still working through an old phone and it's hard to find cases, much less sustainable cases, that will fit this model!  Finally, every Pela Case comes with a hand-written note!  Mine was personalized (with mention made to my being in Vegas) and was a great genuine touch! 

With all of that being said, Pela Case has several special edition engraved cases, cases made in partnership with Save the Waves, and their Android collection is coming soon!  

What are you waiting for?  Check them out! 







Post Comment
Post a Comment