: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Verterra...

Sunday, April 1, 2018

If you're anything like me, picnics make you super happy, but you also aren't a huge fan of paper plates, napkins, etc.  Since I'm always on a journey towards the most zero waste lifestyle as possible, I've been on the lookout for an ethical alternative for things like picnics and BBQs.  This is where Verterra comes in! 

It's funny because I can remember that years ago, someone on Facebook sent me a video about disposable dinnerware being made from palm leaves and I was totally sold.  Now that I've tried them out for myself, I'm over the moon!  

Here's the scoop: 

When Verterra makes dinnerware, they don't cut down any trees.  They use fallen palm leaves and are able to press them into plates, bowls, and serving trays without the use of any chemicals or bonding agents.  Yep.  They are literally just leaves and water!  How cool is that?  I also love that because they are made from natural materials, no two dishes are exactly the same.  They would be the perfect dishes to use in any of the idyllic settings on my : al fresco Pinterest board!   Verterra has also recently branched out to include things like cheeseboards and to go boxes from balsa wood and rice paper.  

While the products in their line are recommended for single use only (since they aren't made with any lacquers or preservative chemicals), everything is 100% compostable, so you can toss everything into the worm bin and add it back to your garden once it's broken down.  Even if their dishes do end up in a landfill, they will be able to break down and will help to decrease the ever-growing pile up of trash that the world is working through!  

What do you think?  Would you ever use palm leaf dishes for your dinner party? 






SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
Post Comment
Post a Comment