: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Weekend in WDLK...

Monday, April 30, 2018

My dear Green Bees, I have been waiting to take this new WDLK bikini for a test drive for so long, and since my mum and aunt came to visit me in the desert over the weekend, I finally got the chance to wear it and snap a few photos without feeling silly for bringing my camera and tripod to the pool.  

First of all, I adore this bikini because it's green, and as you may have guessed by the name of this blog, green happens to be a colour with which I'm particularly enamored.   Second, this suit is reversible so I can mix and match it in numerous ways and it already makes me feel like I've got about 4 new bikinis instead of just one!  Finally, this is probably the coolest thing about this suit: it's made from recycled fishing nets.  

Yes, friends, you know that I'm a huge fan of plastic bottle leggings, but this is a new one for me.  

All of the fabrics used in WDLK suits have been created from ECONYL, which is made from "ghost nets," or fishing nets that have been abandoned and left floating in the ocean (which often entangles unsuspecting sea critters).  How cool is that?  Part of the proceeds from all of their suit sales goes to Healthy Seas, an organization that goes out to collect the nets and convert them into the usable ECONYL fibers that create their suits!  Everything goes totally full-circle (except, hopefully not back into the ocean... unless the suit is being worn to swim/surf/paddle/etc.... that's ok)! 

I loved wearing my suite to the pool in the desert, but I cannot wait to start reversing the pieces and wearing them to the beach next month when I get a chance to head back to the coast! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the bikini is reversible and is made from recycled fishing nets
: the sunglasses are made from sustainable wood
: the sandals are handmade and fair trade
: the belly ring is handmade






^ When you ask your mum to photograph you with some pretty flowers and plants and she makes it look like you've got a leaf up your nose... 



SaveSave
Post Comment
Post a Comment