: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Closet Swapping Day...

Monday, August 20, 2018

If you've ever stared into the abyss of your closet and thought: 

: Wow, I have way too much stuff!
: Oh, golly... I have nothing to wear... 
: I seriously need to save some money by cutting back on shopping

... let me let you in on a little secret.  

About 5 years ago, as I was aggressively trying to pay down college loans, move out of my mum's house, and wanted to take steps towards living more minimally, I discovered that if I made good choices with the pieces that I purchased for my wardrobe and then moved them out of my closet and into another space (i.e. another closet, folded in a box under my bed, etc.) when the seasons changed and I got to go "shopping" with my own well-chosen pieces. 

This was amazing because so many life things happened in the months in which my out-of-season clothing was in hiding, I tended to forget about what I had.  When Closet Swapping Day arrived, I'd be absolutely delighted to rediscover things I'd completely forgotten were in my possession.  

Since I moved a few weeks ago, I've been finishing up sorting out clothing of all seasons and I re-discovered this gorgeous organic cotton, fair trade tunic.  This piece made it's way into my wardrobe several years ago (I think when I was living in Germany).  I pull it out at the end of the summer and in the spring and while it's still August, there was a hint of fall in the air today, so it seemed a perfect fit.  It was immensely enjoyable to re-discover this comfortable print tunic.  I think it was a perfect match for the weather, the scenery, and my minimalist lifestyle/conservative budget! 

Do you have any tips for minimizing your wardrobe? 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the blouse is handmade and fair trade
: the earrings are handmade from sustainable materials
: the sandals are made of recyclable materials
: the cuff is handmade from scrap material







Post Comment
Post a Comment