: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Water is Life Kenya...

Sunday, September 2, 2018

On Friday, at work, I realized about an hour after lunch time that my water bottle was empty.  At that point, my first opportunity to refill it was going to be in about 3 hours.  I can tell you for certain that those three hours were incredibly uncomfortable, because despite already having consumed one giant Swell bottle full of water, I was still super thirsty.  

However, I knew that as soon as the bell rang to end the day, I'd be able to run downstairs to get a refill.  I had absolutely no question about where my water was going to come from.  

I'm lucky... and I feel like many of you readers are in the same or a similar position.  

Now stop for a moment and think about other parts of the world in which water is not an abundant resource.  Kenya is one of those places that comes almost immediately to mind.  In Kenya, people are still digging wells and rigging up a variety of systems to collect and channel rain water.  Water is truly hard to come by.  Jobs are also rather difficult to come by, which is why I was so incredibly honored to team up with Water is Life Kenya to share this feature with you.  

The creators at Water is Life Kenya, wanted to help change the world so they're working to solve a number of issues.  They take paper that is destined for the tip, hire artisans to turn them into beads (in a fair trade setting), and then sell their handiwork to help raise money to support clean water initiatives.  They were kind enough to send me a selection of their paper bead bracelets and I love knowing that not only did they save things from going to the landfill, but the people who created them have access to water and a fair living wage.  

These bracelets are great in a stack and on their own and were the perfect compliment to my hippie-inspired outfit on a quick adventure out in nature.  

What do you think?  If you could pick any four from their site, which four colours would you choose? 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the bracelets are handmade and fair trade
: the earrings are handmade and ethically-sourced
: the necklace is handmade and ethically-sourced







Post Comment
Post a Comment