: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Panda Sunglasses...

Sunday, December 23, 2018

I don't know about you, but I absolutely love to be outside.  Something that comes with this outside time is the serious need for sunglasses, amiright?  I'm all about keeping my eyes healthy.  As you know, I'm also all about keeping things real and natural, and this is why I'm so glad to have linked up with Panda Sunglasses!

They've made it their mission to create super stylish sunnies out of one of the more sustainable resources around: bamboo.  Bamboo is actually a type of tall grass and there are over 1000 varieties of bamboo worldwide.  These grasses all grow incredibly quickly (bamboo actually holds the Guinness Book of World Records record for being the world's fastest-growing plant) and are so strong that they can be used in much the same way that timber is utilized in finished products.  Bamboo farms produce 30% more oxygen than the typical same-sized tree farm and when harvested, the bamboo root system is able to remain underground in-tact and can start to regrow almost immediately. 

While plastic or metal sunglasses tend to make up the largest percentage of the market, the peeps over at Panda have realized all of the benefits of utilizing bamboo to decrease their ecological footprint.  They currently stock about 100 gorgeous styles in several different colours.  My Joyce shades arrived yesterday and I'm completely smitten.  They made me feel a bit like a movie star in my fancy airport outfit yesterday, but were perfect as part of my casual look on the beach of freezing cold Lake Michigan this afternoon.  These sunnies are strong, I adore that they are polarized, and they come in a super fun bamboo case.  

Oh, and in case that isn't groovy enough for you, for every pair of sunglasses that they sell, Panda provides the "Gift of Vision" by helping to fund optical exams for people in need around the world.  They've also linked up with Kiva (you know, the world-saving, loan-giving organization that I love to lend to at the beginning of every school year) and have decided to donate 5% of total profits to help fund additional loans through the end of 2018!  

Hop over to Panda and comment back here with your favourite style of shades! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the sunglasses are ethically-made from bamboo
: the tank is locally-made using US-sourced materials
: the necklace is handmade, fair trade, and supports global wildlife conservation efforts
: the shoes were stolen from my mum's closet
: the hat was handmade







1 comment on "#SustainableSunday with Panda Sunglasses..."