: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Shel-USA...

Sunday, February 3, 2019

I don't know about you, but even though I try to live minimally, when I leave the house, I require a rather large handbag.  Most often, it's because I need to carry my re-usable water bottle and some sort of re-usable vessel for coffee (just in case the opportunity to go get fika presents itself), and since the things inside my handbag are ethical and sustainable, the bag itself also needs to be planet-friendly! 

That being said, I was so thrilled to have been contacted by my new pals at Shel-USA.  They create beautiful handbags and accessories from all recycled materials... i.e. their fabrics are woven from recycled plastic bottles.  As someone who will go out of their way to not use plastic bottles and to wander around my neighborhood/the beach/the forest, etc. and will pick up bottles so that they aren't biodegrading in the wild, I can definitely appreciate the mindset behind these fabrics. 

My pals at Shel-USA were kind enough to send me their Everyday Indigo tote and I'm completely smitten!  First of all, I totally adore the shibori dye job.  I'm a total sucker for tie dye, so having it on a bag that I can wear all the time makes my heart happy.  I carried my bag to Disneyland and for my weekend in Ventura with SunStars and I've got to tell you that it's the ideal size.  

I usually end up traveling with a giant woven tote, which is great, but tends to be too big to carry every day (i.e. when I'm not on a plane and needing my laptop, iPad, and a giant novel on top of all the re-usable goodies I carry).  This everyday tote is a groovy size.  It is larger at the base than it is at the top, so I was still able to carry all of my airplane essentials, but then it was such a great size for toting around Disney (full of healthy, non-plastic-wrapped snacks, bien sur)!  

If the shibori dye isn't your thing, don't worry!  They make a beautiful range of neutral bags and accessories, as well!  I highly recommend that you hop over to their page and comment back here with your favorite item!  They also donate 1% of annual revenue to environmental causes as part of the 1% For The Planet initiative, so your purchases are stylish and help the world! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are fair trade and handmade
: the tee is made of sustainable hemp
: the jeans were upcycled
: the shoes are fair trade and handmade
: the bag is handmade from recycled plastic bottles
: the bracelets are fair trade and handmade







Post Comment
Post a Comment