: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

An act of kindness...

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The weather outside may be a wee bit frightful, but world-saving fashion certainly is delightful.  Last fall, I received an email from my friends at Swahili Coast Designs.  Their showroom and home base in North Carolina had been pretty much completely destroyed by Hurricane Florence.  I jumped on board and tried to help them raise the funds needed to rebuild their showroom and now that they're on the track to recovery, they reached out again and sent me one of their gorgeous leather beaded cuff bracelets. 

I suppose it just kind of goes to show that by helping one another, we're able to help ourselves. I just wanted to do what I could to help a business that goes above and beyond to help people on the other side of the world and in doing so, I've been gifted an absolutely beautiful piece of jewelry with a story to tell behind it.  

While I'm not a beading expert (or perhaps because of this fact), I genuinely cannot imagine the patience that is required to make something this precise, but I love how easily this cuff has worked itself into my wardrobe.  I also love that it has 3 adjustable settings so that even people with tiny wrists like mine (for real... they're about the size of the average 8-year old's wrists) can comfortably wear the cuff.  

I have a feeling that this little gift will become a staple in my wardrobe simply because it was given to me in a true act of kindness (and also it's handmade and fair trade, but I think that's a given by now)! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are fair trade and handmade
: the bracelet is fair trade and handmade
: the ring is handmade
: the sweater was thrifted
: the trousers are fair trade and handmade
: the boots are fair trade and handmade







Post Comment
Post a Comment