: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with A Million Elephants...

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Seriously, these earrings could not have arrived at a better time.  While the world is in turmoil, and half of our country is jealously hoarding everything they can get their hands on, the other half is banding together, sharing, and getting by with what we can.  I went on what I've since referred to as an anthropological trip to the grocery store yesterday and despite all of the empty shelves, found it to be actually quite peaceful.  I had more conversations with strangers than I've had in recent memory and I feel like that is something to celebrate. 

I wasn't wearing these peace sign earrings on my grocery run, but if I had, I'm pretty sure I would have been able to strike up a conversation about them.  They were made with scrap metal that came from bombs and planes leftover from the Vietnam War era and picked up Laos, the most bombed country in the world. I definitely think that that is something to talk about. 

These gems were made for a wonderful little Laos/Canada-based company called A Million Elephants.  Founder, Brittany, is half Laotian, and since her first trip to Laos in 2017 when she came across a young child selling goods made from scrap metal, she made it her mission to help the people of Laos rise above the poverty that plagues the country. She has created a network of artisans who are paid a fair living wage to continue practicing traditional techniques to handcraft new and beautiful products.  All recycled UXO (scrap metal) pieces are made in a tiny village called Ban Naphia, her line of  jungle vine products are crafted by an indigenous group called the Khmu, and her handwoven and silk textiles are produced in northern Luang Prabang or Vientiane.  

The wages that her artisans are paid enable them to support their entire family, their jobs keep them safe, and she donates 10% of annual profits directly to an NGO based in Laos. 

These earrings have quickly become go-to pieces in my wardrobe (see them again in my Wednesday post) and I think that that is something kind of magical about wearing a symbol of peace that is made from something that was once lethal.  Aside from looking uber cool, there is real history to them, and knowing that real human hands crafted them makes me feel much more connected to the rest of my fellow human beings on this crazy planet called Earth. 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the earrings are fair trade and handmade from scrap metal left over from bombs and plane parts from the Vietnam War era
: the tank is fair trade and handmade of organic cotton
: the trousers are fair trade and handmade
: the beaded cuff is fair trade and handmade
: the sweater was thrifted








Post Comment
Post a Comment