: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

In the rough...

Wednesday, May 18, 2016


One of the things that has really been helping me to move through these uncertain times is a good, inspiring story.  I recently had the pleasure of connecting with Ashley from Solo Hope (another of my favourite fair trade companies that works with people who live in extreme poverty), who was kind enough to send me their lovely "In the Rough" necklace.  So where does the inspirational story come in?  It's all in the necklace!  

This piece was made from volcanic rock (obsidian) pieces collected by young boys in a small Honduran community.  One of the directors at Solo Hope thought it would be cool to pick up a local resource, so she bought a big bag of these rocks and passed them along to a lady named Glenda to turn into magic.  Glenda was recently widowed and has 3 children to raise all on her own.  She has taken a rough situation and a rough rock and turned it into something beautiful!  

It is an absolute honour to wear this necklace.  When I do... especially while my life seems a bit up in the air, I am reminded that even rough, unpolished things can be turned into works of art.  

If that isn't inspiring, I don't know what is! 









1 comment on "In the rough... "