: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

#SustainableSunday with Manos Zapotecas...

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Do you know what I love?  I wardrobe piece that transcends seasons.  I love it because I can literally take it anywhere at any time of the year and it will still be totally functional (and stylish).  One of these pieces is my Gloria tote bag from Manos Zapotacas.  I've featured it several times in the past, but as I did a bit of closet cleaning this morning, I re-discovered it and felt compelled to share it again.  

I absolutely love this bag.  When I first received it, I may or may not have literally swooned.  It is a true work of art.  It was early spring in the Chicago suburbs, when I received my bag, and it brought a perfect pop of colour to my transitional wardrobe.  I brought it to California with me over spring break and even took it to the beach.  I've used this bag as a computer bag while traveling, as a weekend overnight bag, and today, it beautifully contained a stack of library books.

I think I've made my point: it's gorgeous and super versatile. 

But there is more that I love about this brand and this company.  They are a fair trade company, based in Oaxaca, Mexico.  The weavers who work for Manos Zapotecas are paid a fair living wage and their art is is given greater exposure to the world market.  Each bag is made using old Zapotec methods.  Wool arrives in natural, neutral colours and is hand-dyed (often using natural dyes), wool is spun and designers plan out their patterns.  Next, the bags are hand-woven on a bi-peddal treadle loom.  Local leatherworkers add the straps (and sometimes fringe) and then the bag is returned to be hand-sewn together and prepped for sale! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the bag is fair trade and handmade
: the top was thrifted
: the earrings are handmade and fair trade
: the necklace is handmade
: the sea glass ring is handmade
: the Buddha ring is handmade






Post Comment
Post a Comment