: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Ventura Botanical Gardens...

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

I don't know about y'all, but if you put the word "Garden" before/behind just about anything, I want to go (beer garden, anyone?).  The very first time I visited Ventura in 2016, the Botanical Gardens were being built.  Visiting the gardens was always on the list of things to do in subsequent visits, but it never managed to happen and then, in the early winter of 2017, the gardens were almost completely destroyed by the Thomas Fire. 

On my last trip to Ventura before moving to Denver in July, the gardens were still closed, but while I was in town last weekend, they were open (and entry was free on MLK Day)!  We had to return our rental car and get to the airport, so we only had about 15 minutes to spend in the gardens, but I was filled with joy at the sight of all the happily growing paddle cactus and other Mediterranean plants.  That being said, I'll take this moment to settle any arguments that you may be having: I LOVE PLANTS!   

I didn't know it at the time, but further research has shown that there are plans for expanding the gardens and planting the entire 107 acres over the next 40 years!  How cool is that?  There will be plants everywhere!  Now, I just hope that no move wildfires sweep over the hills and take everything out again. 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the tank is ethically made
: the kimono (is actually a dress) was ethically made from re-claimed fabrics
: the jeans were upcycled
: the boots are handmade and fair trade
: the sunglasses are made from bamboo







Post Comment
Post a Comment