: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Bonneville Salt Flats...

Tuesday, September 27, 2016


Wow, oh wow!  I am so far behind on posting!  These snaps are from 3 weeks ago!  This new job has, once again, totally taken over my life and I'm usually in bed and asleep by 20:30.  

It's funny because just before these photos were taken at the Bonneville Salt Flats, I was on the phone  with my mom and told her that my life was great.  I was living in a new place, getting paid to help kids all week, and exploring a new corner of the world every weekend.  

My, how things have changed.  I keep getting new students and all of the routines that I worked for weeks to establish are all out the window and I'm back to square one.  My only hope is that with a few more weeks of hunkering down and pushing through it, I will have restored order so that I can resume my life of getting paid to help kids during the week and going on restorative weekend explorations.  

Anyway, let me get to what's really important here: the salt flats!  I saw the Bonneville Salt Flats on a travel show, I think, when I was in high school.  I remember how hard it was for me to wrap my head around the whole concept of them.  This was once a place that had been carved out and blanketed in water so salty that millions of years later, the water is gone, but the salt remains.  It just seemed like a magical place, and so Salt Lake City (the nearest hub) has been on my Wanderlust List ever since! On the way out to Vegas with my family (and moving truck) we skirted right around SLC and I begged to go out of the way to see the salt flats... and was promptly turned down, so it was lucky that SB was amenable to a weekend exploration.  

The flats are crazy.  I don't particularly enjoy driving and the mirages rising off of the salt was intense and very trippy.  Because the salt is everywhere and we visited on a totally cloudless day, there was a huge glare and it was really hard to see what was in front of us.  I couldn't believe that SB convinced me to not just drive on the flats, but drive 100 MPH on the flats.  I think I only did it because it really didn't look like there was anyone else around and because I was trying to push myself one step closer to getting over my driving fears. 

It was pretty awesome.  I think we spent roughly an hour on the Speedway and then started our long journey back to Vegas (by way of the Extraterrestrial Highway... yes, I did see one Alien.  See Instagram for that experience).  If you ever find yourself in the top bit of Utah, I'd recommend a quick stop to the Bonneville Salt Flats.  If nothing else, it'll confuse your brain... is this snow I'm driving on, or salt? 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the ring is handmade and fair trade
: the earrings are handmade (from recycled bullet casings) and fair trade
: the necklace and cuff bracelet are handmade














1 comment on "Bonneville Salt Flats... "
  1. These photos are amazing, such a beautiful clean place.
    Have a great day!
    Xoxo, Victoria

    http://fashionstylebeautyandmore.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete