: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Something to be said about that...

Monday, August 6, 2018

Well, Green Bees... it's been an interesting summer, to say the least.  I think I spent about 80% of it making phone calls and trying to take care of business and the other 20% was occupied by tears and list making and wondering what I was doing with my life.  

I know that is is a forum for me to talk about sustainable living, and while that most often refers to eco-friendly or fair trade fashion, zero waste products, and spending time outside, over the last few weeks I've started to include mental health under the umbrella of what "sustainable living" means to me.  

Several weeks ago, I left a post on Instagram  that took a lot of courage.  I'd been debating doing it for several months, as this last school year has single-handedly been the hardest year of my life.  As soon as I got one struggle under control, several more would come up, and what I tend to write and delete on social media often, I've struggled with anxiety and depression for about 17 years now.  In Las Vegas, the healthcare was so poor that even though I tried to seek treatment, I ended up waiting nearly 2 months to get an appointment with the 1 (yes, 1) person that was covered by my insurance.  

Clearly, this is not a sustainable practice and really led me to begin considering mental health as something that genuinely does need to be sustained and maintained in order to help continue to make all of the other lifestyle choices that are sustainable in the more eco-friendly sense.  

All that being said, here I am.  I mentioned last week that I nearly didn't make it to Colorado, but came quite close to passing straight through the Centennial State and heading back to the Land of Lincoln to move back in with my mum and heal.  After much consideration, I decided to rise to the challenge and truly stake out on my own for the first time in my life.  While I tend to move every few years (and not just short-distances: Paris, NYC, an 800-year old village in Germany, to name a few of my prior homes), I've always had a roommate or significant other traveling with me or meeting me at the other end.  

So far, I think it's paid off.  I've moved in to an apartment that I managed to decorate rather well (if I do say so myself) on a budget, I cleared out my classroom.  I ended up working nearly a full day last week, helping with new staff interviews, and ended up making a friend that I've already hung out with 3 times.  I just completed two very long of new-to-district teacher meetings and officially start meetings in my new role in my new school tomorrow.  

I haven't had a chance to do a whole ton of exploring just yet, but yesterday after my meetings, I was able to have a wee wander in a nearby open land park.  The mountains and the flora reminded me a bit of Germany and it made me a bit homesick (I never wanted to leave Germany), but it also made me a bit proud.  

In the last decade, I've covered a lot of territory.  I've pushed myself over boundaries that I thought I'd never be able to surmount.  I've knocked down quite a few walls.  While, yes, there are days... weeks, even, where getting out of bed is akin to summiting Mt. Everest, I'm still here... without meds... without prescribed therapy... but with help from the people with whom I've crossed paths over the years and with help from the Universe.  

... I think there's something to be said for that... 

What's sustainable about this outfit? 

: the necklace was handmade
: the bracelets are handmade
: the earrings are handmade and fair trade
: the booties are ethically-made by Toms

1 comment on "Something to be said about that... "