: exploring sustainable fashion, the great outdoors, and an eco-friendly lifestyle :

Brushing your teeth with a rainbow...

Monday, March 11, 2019

If you've never brushed your teeth with a rainbow, I highly recommend giving it a go.  As you know, I'm always looking for ways to replace the evil plastics in my life.  If we're Facebook pals, you'll know that while I'm not religious, I've committed to giving up plastics for Lent this year and an easy way to do this is to swap your plastic toothbrush for one that is made of bamboo. 

Why, you ask? 

Because bamboo is a fast-growing plant that is easy to harvest and since it is a plant, it is biodegradable.  Yes, you can toss it into your compost bin once you've finished with it and have removed the bristles!  This makes me especially happy, as an ocean-lover.  When I visit my dad in Ventura, I go to the beach at least twice every day that I am there and something that I end up doing each time I've got my toes in the sand is pick up trash.  In January, when SunStars and I visited my dad, we set aside several hours to clean the beach and some of the items we found the most of were plastic straws, plastic bottle tops, and yep... toothbrushes.  

By swapping out plastic for bamboo, we can keep more junk out of the waves (and whale bellies, etc.) while still maintaining adequate oral health.  Oh, and hey... these rainbow bristles are a lot of fun.  I literally smile when I see this toothbrush from Bamboo Rainbow, which is great because it makes brushing even easier! 








Post Comment
Post a Comment